Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Sundays

I kicked a boy
(click on the above link to hear a sample)

The lyrics:

When the weathers fine, when its sunny outside
Think about the time I kicked a boy til he cried
Oh, I couldve been wrong, but I don't think I was
He's such a child
When I am alone, I remember so well
How merrily I tripped a boy so he fell
Oh I couldve been wrong, but I don't think I was
He's totally wild
And Ive been wondering lately just whose gonna save me
Now I have a cold, and no story to tell
I'd marry you but I'm so unwell
And I could've been wrong Well I don't think I was
He's totally wild
And I've been wondering lately Just whose gonna save me
Yes you should've been wise Oh hysterical child
Where'd you learn to do that

The group the Sundays gets into my 80's alternative music list because it was released in 1990. I have to recognize my friend and roommate at the time Jeff for introducing me to them. I actually enjoyed them so much that I would borrow the CD and listen to it when Jeff was out. I believe the Bible calls that stealing. None the less, I learned about this group from Jeff.
This song is known but didn't top the charts like their songs "wild horses" and "Here's where the story ends". Yet, this song is a great picture of the depravity of man. So, I chose to review it here. It seems the content of the lyrics focuses on a girl having a troubled conscience about doing physical harm to a boy from her childhood. She seems to be reflecting on her regret. However, she takes herself off the hook by saying 'he was wild'. Does Scripture say anything about that?
1 Peter 3:8-9 "To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted and humble in spirit; not returning evil for evil or insult for insult ..."
While this passage is addressed to Christians, unbelievers are not allowed to ignore righteous acts. Returning an evil deed (kicking) because someone committed an evil deed against you is an act of sin.
Romans 1:28-29 "and just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips"
This passage addresses why a child could justify kicking another child. It is the problem of the depravity of sin that affects every human being. However, even in the lyrics, it appears she is questioning if she is really well. It is a question that every person must ask if they are going to receive salvation. It is part of the process of repentance in the life of an unbeliever. Once, someone acknowledges that sin is a problem that makes them very unwell..... they may be ready to hear the solution that is found in Jesus Christ.
This song is a great reminder of the lost justifying their sinful actions. It is also a reminder that they may be aware that something is really wrong. What a motivation to talk with people that are looking at their past sins with questions. The Gospel is the greatest news to people, who realize just how sick they have become because of sin.
If you like acoustical guitars and a great harmonious voice, the Sundays fill the bill. If you are thinking about the lyrics to this song, remember the depravity of humanity!

No comments: