Monday, October 1, 2007

BOB MOULD

(click on title to hear a sample of the song)

I have to give credit to my college roommate “Pat” for helping me to hear Bob Mould for the first time. Actually, I had listened to Husker Du but wasn’t aware that the singer/song writer had a solo album. The album “Workbook” came blaring through the Chevy S-10 pickup, while my buddy was working in the backyard. The guitar rift for his first song (no words) was a great sounding tune that hooked me. The song that I am taking a look at is called “Sinners and their Repentances”. Here are the lyrics and the commentary:

All those things i've done before, It doesn't matter anymore
I see the errors of my oh-so-humble ways
Better run before, There's no way that i can cover for
All these things catch up to me, We've all sinned before
I have sinned before
While, I am not sure what the lyrics are conveying in the first line, the song admits that the issue of sin is a reality for all. In fact, “pride” may be part of a sin issue that is being admitted. Scripture confirms this, Romans 3:23 “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”

These sins, they seem to fit you well
Since i have known these sins so well
All these sins i've known before, They just don't concern me anymore
A secret voice in my sleep, Better speak before
Know there's someone right behind the door, I don't seem to speak with ease
Falling, Falling down
I see these words don't work so well
I say these words so well, See me saying "oh, well"
It's easy to save face in this world
There is recognition of the type of sins being committed by someone as Mould recognizes that he has engaged in the same type of sins. Yet, he doesn’t seem to be bothered by them. Or maybe he really is struggling with the sin and hasn’t come to grips with the true reality of it? It reminds me of the passage found in Romans 2:14-16 “For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.” Those without God may be aware of certain sins, but that doesn’t mean they are at the point of conviction. Yet, it can be used as a great opportunity for the Christian to share the gospel with them (if they admit even this).

How can you qualify, Difference between a sin and a lie
I see my silver lining in the sky, But now i can't decide
If you told the truth or you lied, You seem to sin so well
This light's so bright, It seems to hurt my eyes
You seem to sin so well
If the crush of your emotions, Leave you lying in the dust
Then take it all right out on me, And leave me in the rain to rust
The lyrics begin to get a little more enigmatic and I may not be fully capturing the intent of these words (but I will try). I think there is an acknowledgement of the problem in trying to categorize sin. All sin is a sin no matter what type is committed. James 2:10 reminds me of this truth: “For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.”
What is the silver lining in the sky? That would have to be answered by Bob Mould. In relationship to sin, it would be repentance of all sins and trusting in the Lord Jesus Christ. It is the grace of God at work which is the only silver lining to a life contaminated by sin. Unfortunately, this song doesn’t take you to the greatness of God that is the source of hope. However, for me Romans 6:23 is more than silver lining in the sky: “for the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Recommendation:
If you want to be reminded of the reality of man’s conscience dealing with sin, here is a song that deals with this assessment. There is no good news to it and it leaves a bleak picture. Yet, that bleak picture is a reality for most of humanity. Maybe it is a song to reflect upon before you share with a lost soul!

No comments: