Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Depeche Mode

Walking In My Shoes
(click on song title to hear a sample)

This band is borderline new wave and alternative. Depeche mode has been around for a long number of years but I was thinking about one of there songs just recently. Therefore, I thought I would review one of their songs and see how it lines up theologically.

I would tell you about the things they put me through
The pain I've been subjected to
But the Lord himself would blush
The countless feasts laid at my feet
Forbidden fruits for me to eat
But I think your pulse would start to rush
Now I'm not looking for absolution
Forgiveness for the things I do
But before you come to any conclusions

Try walking in my shoes Try walking in my shoes You'll stumble in my footsteps
Keep the same appointments I kept
If you try walking in my shoes
If you try walking in my shoes Morality would frown upon
Decency look down upon
The scapegoat fate's made of me
But I promise now, my judge and jurors
My intentions couldn't have been purer
My case is easy to see I'm not looking for a clearer conscience
Peace of mind after what I've been through
And before we talk of any repentance
Try walking in my shoes Try walking in my shoes You'll stumble in my footsteps

Keep the same appointments I kept If you try walking in my shoes If you try walking in my shoes Try walking in my shoes
Now I'm not looking for absolution Forgiveness for the things I do But before you come to any conclusions Try walking in my shoes Try walking in my shoes You'll stumble in my footsteps Keep the same appointments I kept
If you try walking in my shoes You'll stumble in my footsteps Keep the same appointments I kept If you try walking in my shoes Try walking in my shoes If you try walking in my shoes Try walking in my shoes

Melodically, I can appreciate the song's gritty dance groove that combines heavy electronics with Depeche Mode's usual harmonies. That is where the appreciation for the song stops. The blasphemy is what first startles me: "I would tell you about the things they put me through the pain I've been subjected to but the Lord Himself would blush"
I wonder if ignorance could be claimed here? Read Isaiah 53 and then realize that nobody holds a candle to what Jesus experienced in pain, suffering, isolation, being deserted, being labeled a criminal even though Jesus was making propitiation. It kind of makes you want to say to Depeche Mode ... you need a reality check dudes, the universe doesn't revolve around you - get off your high horse!

The other thing that I notice about this song is that it isn't written to ask for forgiveness. In fact, the mere thought of repentance is rather offensive: "before we talk of repentance try walking in my shoes"
While, the lyrics claim to not be seeking a justification of one's hidden sins, that is what they really are seeking. It reminds me of Romans 2:14-16 "For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, on the day when according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus." Clearly, you don't make a song proclaiming all the things that are before your feet as a music superstar, unless you are seeking to defend your conscience. Depeche Mode has done a good job of doing what any lost person does, defending their actions from sin against their conscience.

Recommendation: Don't listen to be edified, but be reminded of the ugliness of sin and the hardness of heart.

No comments: