Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Smiths

(click on above to hear a sample)

Sweetness, sweetness, I was only joking when I said I'd like to smash every tooth in your head Sweetness, sweetness, I was only joking when I said by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed.
And now I know how Joan of Arc felt, Now I Know how Joan of Arc felt, As the Flames rose to her Roman nose And her Walk-man started to melt.
Big mouth la da da da da Big mouth la da da da Big mouth strikes again and I've got no right to take My place with the human race Oh, oh, oh oh oh Big mouth la da da da da Big mouth la da da da, Big mouth strikes again And I've got no right to take my place with the Human race.
And now i know how Joan of Arc felt, Now i know how Joan of Arc felt, As the Flames rose to her roman nose and her hearing aid started to melt
Big mouth la da da da da Big mouth la da da da da Big mouth strikes again and i've got no right to take My place with the human race Oh,oh,oh oh Big mouth la da da da da (etc)
This group is one that I became aware of because it was a popular alternative group. One of my roomies was fond of them, having a poster of Morrissey in his room. I won't go there!
These lyrics are bemoaning the fact that someone's mouth has gotten them into trouble. It is not a new problem but one that has happened to many people. The mouth is a problem because words can cause all sorts of problems. James 3:3-8 "Now, if we put the bits into the horses' mouth so that they will obey us, we direct their entire body as well. Look at the ships also, though they are so great and are driven by strong winds, are still directed by a very small rudder wherever the inclination of the pilot desires. So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell. For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison."
However, the Christian has no excuse for this kind of verbal behavior. The church in Ephesus was exhorted to properly handle the tongue towards the church and outsiders. Ephesians 4:29 "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." or Colossians 4:6 "Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person."
This song is only edifying when you consider why the tongue is dangerous and what we as Christians are expected to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve,

You haven't posted a review in a while. I was wondering if you got burned out on all the 80's alternative music or what? I would like to see a review of REM. I enjoy reading your reviews, even though most of it is not my cup of java.

Rock On!